After a couple of hours to recover it was on to stage 3, a 50 miles road race, familiar to many as the course is often used for the Yorkshire Divisional Championships.
Tom Barras (Metaltek – Scott), the winner of the Yorkshire Championship event in 2009, on the same course, and almost the winner again in 2011 (Scott Thwaites had clipped a parked car in the closing metres and taken Barras out with him) was well down overall but started as one of the favourites for the stage.
As racing got under way it was Barras’s team-mate Simon Wilson who was the first to go clear on the opening lap, Ashley Brown (Sportscover Altura RT) set off in pursuit as the gap reached almost 1 minute, with the main field a further 15 seconds back.
A lap latter and Wilson’s lead was down to 30 seconds over the peloton. I wasn’t long before Wilson was joined at the front. Five riders including Wilson’s team-mates Barras and Gullen (Race Leader), stage one winner Ben Ives (We Love Mountains RT), Chris Sherriffs (Team Bglobal) and local rider Ben Kellett (VS Cycles). The six only held a 20 second led as the hit the exposed part of the circuit, with Barras driving the group along they soon pulled clear of the chasing peloton.
As the leading group hit the cross winds, Barras went clear with Wilson, with race leader Gullen sat in the remains of the leading group, it was down to others to chase. The two leaders soon pulled out a big lead, taking the bell over 2 minutes clear. Sherriff’s led the chasers though, with the remains of the field a further minute back.
As the two leader approached the line they locked hands and crossed the line together, as the clock ticked by it looked as though Wilson had pulled back enough time to take the overall as well. As the chasing group approached the line, the clock showed 3:20, enough to give Wilson the overall.
Stage 3 Result
1. Tom Barras (Metaltek – Scott)
2. Simon Wilson (Metaltek – Scott)
3. Chris Sherriffs (Team Bglobal)
1. Simon Wilson (Metaltek – Scott) – 4:40:13
2. James Gullen (Metaltek – Scott)
3. Ben Ives (We Love Mountains Racing Team)
4. Chris Sherriffs (Team Bglobal)
5. Hugh Carthy (Maxgear RT)
6. Dean Parkes (Team iOptix.co.uk)
7. Lee Baldwin (Buxton CC/Sett Valley Cycles)
8. James Knox (Mountivation Development Academy)
9. Nick Coupland (We Love Mountains Racing Team)
10. Stuart Percival (Great Britain Fire Service)